Wednesday 16 May 2012

Low carb-ing it!


I don't know whether I've mentioned this here or not yet, but I've been on the Atkins diet for just over two weeks. It's not my first time - it's probably my sixth - and I'm well clued-up on all the rules and what I can and can't have. I know what veggies are a no-no for the carbohydrate count and I'm used to the initial CRAZY weight loss and then the slower, not so fun weight that comes off thereafter. I'm not even the biggest fan of meat and eggs, but there's something about the Atkins diet that I just can't stop myself from coming back to. It's quick, I guess. It works. It doesn't leave me feeling starving, crazy, desperate for SOMETHING to keep my stomach from seemingly eating itself, which is what happens to me any time I go low-cal, low-fat.

Sugar free jelly and cream is just about the only 'sweet' thing that I can get away with. I try to limit how often I have it (apparently it slows weight loss in some, but then so does Coke Zero, so they say, and I drink that like it's my oxygen) but it's a glorious treat when I make it. Who knew jelly and cream could stir such feelings of joy in an adult? It does, trust me, when you've not eaten but a morsel of something sweet in ten days.

They say that Atkins is a Way of Life, not a diet, and I'm trying really hard to ingrain that into my brain at the moment - I don't want to lose all the weight I need to only to go back to eating badly again. Bread and pasta and all sugary, salty foods really don't agree with me (not only weight-wise, but health-wise, too - I can feel such a difference in my energy levels, my skin, and all sorts) so I'm trying to view this low-carb thing as something that I'll essentially be doing forever. I probably won't. But I'll give it a go.

2 comments:

  1. Never tried jelly and cream haha, but who knows maybe it good :)

    and good luck with keeping it up! I could never do it! Carbs are like a drug haha ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried jelly and cream but I have tried Atkins (and South Beach). It's interesting to hear that carbs leaving you feeling like you have less energy. My body reacted the exact opposite way - I had no energy whatsoever when I tried Atkins and could barely walk for half an hour, let alone do any serious cardio. It's so interesting to me how different every body is.

    ReplyDelete